Poor Girly Girl. Poor mishievous, curious, hungry dog. She ate the squeaker from a squeaky toy last night. I rushed to save her while she was choking on it - thinking she would asphyxiate on it in less than 20 seconds - but she somehow managed to go from choking on it to swallowing it. Now it's in her stomach and we're waiting and hoping that nature will take its course and she'll be able to pass it out naturally. With other breeds, one might try to induce vomiting, but that's even more dangerous for a bulldog than when she originally swallowed it.
We took her last night to the Emergency Veterinary Hospital - but they couldn't do anything at that point - since she was no longer choking on it - and they couldn't see it on her x-rays. We took her home and tried to comfort her and get some sleep - but Wilma was so scared, sad, nervous, anxious, in pain, and squeaky, that we were back at the Emergency Veterinary Hospital by 3:15 am for overnight observation. They were able to put her on IVs and pain medication to help her sleep and hopefully pass it. Now we just have to wait and see.
I've generally always been a "she's just a dog" sort of pet owner, but my Wilma is a big part of my life and I am so stunned by this. As one of my friends commented... "Our year old lab... ate a good sized rock in October that had to be surgically removed after a week in his intestine. Now only one of my kids has a shot at college."
Look how scared she is in the photo. Please keep my Girly Girl in your thoughts and prayers.