Four years ago, I designed a Boy Scout themed baby blanket for a fellow leader and his wife who were expecting their first child. I made a graph for a seed-stitch fleur de lis and even gave it a go. Nevermind that I started right into the blanket without testing my design in a swatch. I just jumped in feet first, like I normally do.
It was a disaster. It looked great on paper, but knit up, it was a mumble jumble of stitches that didn't really resemble anything that looked like a fleur de lis. So I frogged it.
Now it's 2014 and I decided to give it a go again. This time I thought it would be better if I just did the outline of the fleur de lis.
But I'm a little slow to learn. Once again I jumped in, feet first, without knitting a design sample first.
OK - to be honest, in this picture I can almost make out the bottom of the fleur de lis outline. When I held out the blanket myself, I couldn't really see it. Oop! It's too late. I already frogged it back to the point where I should add the fleur de lis.
I redesigned the fleur de lis a little larger - and this time, I thought reverse stockinette might make the design pop a little more than the previous two designs. By now, I was getting a little bit smarter. This time I knit a swatch of the new design.
I really liked this design - but I made it a little too large and too elongated. I decided to make one more edit by making it a bit smaller and a bit shorter on the bottom and taller on the top.
This time I think it's right. I'm quite pleased. I've got my fingers crossed and am hoping this will be the winning design. Wish me luck. I hope to publish this one soon.