Yes - WE won an award. I was home in Iowa this past weekend for the 2015 Friends of Recovery Banquet for Jackson Recovery Centers. I was completely surprised by the Women Helping Women award.
This award was for all our hard work donating hand knit blankets for the babies and children who attend treatment with their mothers at our Women and Children's Center. For most of these children, it is often the first time they have medical or dental treatment or live in a healthy environment.
So while I accepted the award - it really goes to all of you. You all helped make blankets and hats for the children. So I'd like to do it again.
Every year or every other year, I host a contest to collect hand made blankets for babies and children (to teenagers) so that every child who goest through the Women and Children's Center can receive one of mother's hugs - a Hug from Marienne.
How Can I Help with the Hug from Marienne Project?
First of all, thank you to everyone for all your kind comments about my Mom, the blankets and the Jackson Recovery Centers Women and Children's Center. Many of you asked me how you can help. I am overwhelmed with your kindness and generosity.
- Using worsted weight acrylic yarn, knit up 7x9 inch swatches for future blankets.
- Use any stitch pattern you like.
- Use any color you like.
- Please use smoke-free yarn from a smoke free home.
- Since these are going to charity, please use acrylic.
- Knit up some newborn, toddler or children's hats (premie to 18 years old). For baby hats, please use any appropriate baby yarn. Worsted weight is probably not the best choice here.
- Knit up an entire blanket (or crochet, quilt, etc.)
- Weave in all loose ends. No need to include extra yarn for joining. I'll take care of that.
- When you're done with your swatches, hats or blankets, email me and I'll send you my mailing address.
For any donation of an entire blanket (baby, child or adult size) - or 25 swatches, or 10 hats or more - I'll send you a skein of yarn of your choosing from my stash. Here are the yarns I'll be donating this year to the first six donors. Only one yarn selection per person.
Yarn choices include:
- Esprit Sock It To Me - two 50g balls - red - 98.3% cotton 1.7% elastic
- South West Trading Company's TOFUtsies - 50% super wash wool, 25% soysilk, 22.5% cotton and 2.5% chitin - color #722
- Berroco Vintage Chunky - 100g - 50% acrylic, 40% wool, 10% nylon - color 6187
- Cascade Yarns 128 Superwash - 100g - superwash merino - color 1919
- Regia Hand-dye Effect - 100g - 70% superwash wool, 25% polyamide, 5% acrylic - color 06550
- Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Stripe - approx 215 yards - 80% superwash wool, 20% nylon - color 8065
Deadline to be eligible for this great giving opportunity: May 1, 2015
Just think - you could do a good deed, get rid of your acrylic, and get something good in return - all while giving some child a "Hug from Marienne."
I hope you'll join in the fun!