While my pink shirt was simmering in its red cochineal bath, I kept looking around for more things to dye red today with the leftover natural dye we made for the Textile Merit Badge class on Saturday. I know that natural fibers dye best with natural dyes (having learned this from experience), so I looked through my yarn stash only to discover that I had pretty much already dyed all the natural un-dyed yarn I owned. I was already dyeing one shirt and I thought that was probably enough for one day. As I opened my pot holder drawer to grab a pot holder for the dye pot -- I found two hand-knit felted pot holders I had made several years ago. One was off white and the other was an off-white and yellow striped pot holder. Into the dye bath they went.
The old, dirty, burnt pot holders look almost new again. Red doesn't photograph very well, but you can almost see the stripes on the pot holder on the left.
Hehehe - it's a good thing the dogs weren't nearby today. I may have been tempted to create a few Clifford the Big Red Dogs!