UPDATED: 12/27/2008 - I have updated this list by a) removing the dead-end links that went to an expired About.com page and b) adding several new patterns I created.
Many of you have asked me for all sorts of free patterns for the American Girl Doll and other 18" dolls. I'm currently working on assembling my own patterns, but in the meantime, I searched the net for free patterns and found these freebies. I've tried to credit the designer in each case. I hope I didn't omit anyone. Of course, I placed my own patterns first - which you can find HERE.
- Jennifer Jackson's American Girl Doll Poncho
- Jennifer Jackson's Shawl with Garter Stitch Stripes
- Jennifer Jackson's Simple Prayer Shawl - Vertical
- Jennifer Jackson's Triangular Shawl with Eyelet
- Jennifer Jackson's Alma Mater Sweater - Top Down
- Jennifer Jackson's Crew Neck Sweater - Top Down
- Jennifer Jackson's How To Knit Top Down Sweater Tutorial
- Jennifer Jackson's Collared Striped Poncho
- Mary J. Saunders’ Summer Dress
- Myra Arnold's Felt Slippers for Kirsten (no picture)
- Craftfinder’s Western Vest and Skirt (no picture)
- Margaret K.K. Radcliffe’s Sarah's Shawl
- Donna Koenig’s Doll Mittens
- Donna Koenig’s Beret Pattern
I also found a few sites that sell kits and patterns.
- Scotty Maloney is a really interesting site that sells kits to knit doll clothes on microscopic needles sized 00000 to 1 in marvelous adult style fashions. If you have the patiences, I think the finished products are worth the investment of time and eyesight. (Update -Since the original post in 2005, it appears that the company no longer has 18" doll patterns. Their kits for 11.5 and 14-16" dolls are still quite amazing!)
- I also found this cool Measurement Chart for Dolls for just about any doll you could want to design for - including 18" dolls.
- And finally, here are just a few more sites that had items for sale and good references for all things related to designing for dolls.
Good luck. Please let me know what you think of the list or if you have any other suggestions. Happy knitting!